The Holloway & Naughton name has been highly regarded in British
gunmaking since the early nineteenth century. Thomas Naughton began
working in Birmingham for Charles Maybury (1834 – 86) at a very
early age and soon showed a natural talent. In due course he moved
on to George Bonehill’s Belmont Works where his skills developed
still further. Eager to progress, his next move was to James Carr
who was in St Mary’s Row around 1888.
At that time another Birmingham maker, George Holloway, was
retailing guns but was also interested in making them and saw young
Thomas as the ideal craftsman.
Thomas Naughton ran Holloway & Co for several years until it was
acquired by H Ludlow who owned the Midland Gun Company. In 1909
Naughton bought out Ludlow and the name was changed to Holloway &
Naughton. Two years later they bought J & W Tolley who had a
worldwide reputation for large bore shotguns and big-game double
Thanks to Guy Smith, Editor: The Countryman’s Weekly
Prior to World War II, approximately 90,000 Holloway & Naughton
Branded firearms were made, with many of the sales going to the USA,
India, Australia and the UK.
During the Second World War, production ceased and the workforce
were called into supporting the war effort. The factory was
annihilated in a bombing raid on Birmingham, with all plans,
blueprints, machinery and records lost. Over the following
40 years, only a few Box Lock shotguns were made, until
the early 1990’s when Andrew Harvison resurrected this long
established name, recreating the Brand in the process to
match the quality levels set by those early craftsmen..
Today, by utilising a team of the finest English craftsmen combined with modern technology, Holloway
& Naughton shotguns are totally bespoke and manufactured to the
client’s individual requirements.
The Company is quintessentially English and the
standards achieved through meticulous attention to design
and detail, have resulted a range of shotguns which could be said to
exceed the established London based manufacturers.